CORONAVIRUS CONTROL MEASURES 27 JULY 2020
Our Dance and Drama school resumes on Saturday 5 September
Please note Govt guidelines are changing on a frequent basis so keep referring to this website for any updates
- If any child or family member has COVID symptoms please do not come to classes
- Temperature checks will be taken on arrival
- Pupils to arrive dressed ready for their class
- No other bags, clothing unless necessary for a second class or inclement weather
- Please bring your own water bottles to minimise use of taps
- Pupils to use our wall mounted sensor hand sanitisers on arrival
- Front studio classes will enter/exit from shop front door
- Rear studio classes will enter/exit from rear of building
- Classes will finish a few minutes earlier to accommodate social distancing
- No parents allowed in studios, middles room, and restricted to one family in the shop
- Ballet barres will be taped for social distancing
- Staff will clean ballet barres after each use
- Staff will clean toilet, kitchen worktops on a frequent basis
- Shop customers to wear facemasks
- Our class sizes will comply with Govt guidelines taking into account age of child with class size decreasing as their age increases up to 100ft square ruling
- All mechanical and natural ventilation systems will be in constant use during classes
- Parents please ensure we have your up to date contact details
Established 25 years
Suzanne's School of Dance and Drama provides excellent tuition in all elements of the Performing Arts to students of all ages whether they are looking for a fun pastime or a career in the industry. Our School is a friendly, relaxed, and safe environment where our pupils can flourish, enjoy themselves, and make friends outside of their own schools and we are proud to continually maintain this ethos.
We have Dance classes in: Ballet, Pointe and Pre-Pointe, Ballet Technique, Contemporary, Modern Jazz, Streetdance, Commercial Jazz, Tap, as well as Gymnastic Dance. We follow the globally recognised Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) syllabus for Ballet and the ISTD syllabus for Modern Jazz and Tap. We enter pupils for Graded exams from Primary to Advanced levels, although if pupils wish they can bypass exams and still progress as they are not mandatory, our focus being on enjoyment, exercise, and self confidence.
Stage Drama (Performing Arts) Classes
We have Stage Drama classes in: Musical Theatre, Singing, Acting, and Drama for boys and girls from 5 years to 18 years. We also have LAMDA classes (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art) and enter pupils for exams from 5 years upwards.
Please click in the space below to view highlights of our Performing Arts classes from the 2019 Annual Show for an insight into the creative work and standard our pupils achieve.
All of our teachers are fully qualified but also have experience in performing at the highest level on stage. Our staff include two former full-time Royal Ballet School pupils who have both performed with the Royal Ballet Company and the English National Ballet Company, as well as in the West End in Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera.
Please see our 'Teachers' page for further information on all of our teachers.
We have 2 fully mirrored, ventilated Dance and Stage studios with wall mounted ballet bars and purpose fitted flooring for pointe work and Tap dancing. The Royal Academy of Dance stipulate mirrored studios are essential for pupils to observe their body alignment, posture, and technique. We also have stage lighting which pupils love to use during classes to create a fun atmosphere.
Our successes include pupils gaining entry into the Royal Ballet School, Elmhurst (Birmingham Royal Ballet), Central Ballet, and English National Ballet, as well as into West End productions of les Miserables, Chitty, Mary Poppins, and Matilda.
As a Ballet School we have had particular outstanding success with 7 full-time entries into the Royal Ballet School located at White Lodge Richmond Park: Rachel ware 2003, Leanne Morris 2004, Georgia Ware 2005, Anna-Rose O'Sullivan 2005, Lauren Porter 2008, Mia Bailey 2013, and Jasmine Whitford 2014, the last two currently still at the school.
We have a number of pupils who participate in Festivals throughout the year. These are pupils who apply themselves and commit to classes. They learn a choregraphed routine either as a solo, duet, or trio. The Festivals are structured and lead to Regional Semi finals culminating in a National Final in London. However our main emphasis is for pupils to enjoy themselves, enjoy meeting other dancers, and the enjoyment of performing on stage. Success is lovely but not solely the only reason to become involved in Festivals. However we do have particular success in Festivals which we are always so proud of.
Please see our Dance Festival page for latest news, photos, and information.
Annual Dance Show
Our annual Dance Show takes place at the Beck Theatre Hayes on the Monday and Tuesday evenings of the October half term with the Monday show for younger children and the Tuesday for the older children. Some children will perform in both shows. There is a dress rehearsal for each evening show in the morning of that day.
All of our pupils from age 4 years to 18 years have a fantastic time as do the parents and friends in the audience. For further information and to see some trailers of previous years show please see our 'Dance Show' page from the above menu.
We also have a fully stocked Dance shop for the purchase of any dancewear. We stock Bloch, Capezio, Roch Valley, and Freed. Please see our 'Shop' page for further information on our products and opening hours.